Change is an undisputed part of life, whether we want it or not. Sometimes we will experience something – a trigger – that acts as a source of motivation to change. Whether you need change in a relationship, your lifestyle, or your career, the truth is that it’s important to sustain that motivation to change your life for the better.
Expect to experience some setbacks on your path to change
There is a difference between being realistic and pessimistic. Believing that once you make the decision to change, everything will fall into place, is just setting you up for frustration and disappointment. Change is not easy. That is why so many people stubbornly refuse to entertain any form of change in their lives. But just because it can be challenging doesn’t mean it’s not important. Once you’ve realised that you need a change, you need to stay focused on that goal.
How to maintain your motivation to change
- Spend time with people who are supportive and will provide additional motivation to change.
- Find strength in stories about people who have experienced something similar to your current circumstances and prevailed.
- Be accountable. Take constructive action to bring about the change you want to see in your life.
- Find the courage to step out of your comfort zone.
- Be aware of your default patterns in terms of thoughts, habits, emotions, and behaviour.
- Use all the resources at your disposal that can aid your process of change.
- Be mindful of your thought patterns, and try to adopt a positive perspective.
- Be patient with yourself. It can take a long time to implement change, which is why it’s important to actively seek motivation to change.
- When you experience a setback, focus on finding a solution and getting back on track.
- Develop the ability to forgive yourself and others.
Discovering the motivation to change something in your life is a gift. It’s an opportunity to develop a better quality of life for yourself, and perhaps even those closest to you too. Don’t quit – carry on seeking more motivation to change and evolve.