So many people struggle when it comes to incorporating exercise into daily life. We know that regular exercise is important, as is a healthy and balanced meal plan, not to mention getting sufficient sleep. With so many work and family obligations and only 24 hours in a day – how is it possible?
Tips for incorporating exercise into daily life
- Make exercise a priority. You have to make the decision to include exercise in your regular schedule. And the word schedule is key here. Block out time in your day for a workout at the gym. Make it a non-negotiable appointment – one that you can’t miss simply because you’re too tired, too busy, or have something else to do. Signing up for personal training sessions or group training is an effective way to accomplish this.
- Stick to a routine. Find a time that best suits you for a workout. Then regularly schedule your exercise for that time of day. Getting into a routine is a great way to create a habit, and avoid those excuses.
- One way of incorporating exercise into daily life is to be more active throughout the day. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk to a colleague’s office rather than sending an email. Get off the tram, bus or train a few stops before your destination and walk the remainder of the way. When you’re doing mundane tasks see if you can do squats, lunges, etc at the same time.
- Make exercise a fun part of your day. No matter what exercise you do, it should be fun. It’s easy to get bored of the same routine. Whether it’s riding bikes with your kids or taking your dog for a walk, find something enjoyable to do. Of course, if it’s results you’re looking for then get a personal trainer or attend group training sessions. This is a great way to get variety and motivation when it comes to exercise.
- Set your alarm clock. Even if you aren’t a morning person, getting up earlier is one of the best ways of incorporating exercise into daily life. If you get your workout done first thing in the morning, then you won’t have to worry about meeting all your responsibilities at work and home later in the day. Starting the day with a sense of accomplishment is also a great motivator!
- Pack your bags! Whether you are heading to the gym first thing in the morning or later in the day, get everything ready the night before. Pack your gym bag so that even if you find yourself pushed for time, you’re prepared and ready to fit in your workout.
- Have a positive mindset. When it comes to incorporating exercise into your daily life then you need to focus on the positive. Forget about the lists of excuses that you used to use. Stop looking at everything that prevents you from exercising regularly. Instead, find ways in which it is possible for you to start incorporating exercise into daily life. If you make the decision to make this a priority, then it is possible and will become a priority.