Want to eat out and stay healthy?
All of us eat out from time to time. With social occasions, business meetings, and so on, it’s virtually impossible to avoid restaurants. Unfortunately the effects can start to show on the scale. How then can you eat out and stay healthy? Obviously you need to limit the frequency of eating out. But for those times when you are faced with a restaurant menu, there are healthy choices you can make. If you want to eat out and stay healthy, then you need to follow these tips…
Tips on how to eat out and stay healthy
- Eat during the day. Have a light lunch and a small afternoon snack. Starving yourself during the day only means that you’ll be ravenous by dinner time. And then you won’t resist the bread basket and large portions.
- Go easy on the alcohol. The best option is always to stick to water. If you have to have a drink, rather have one glass of wine. (See my previous post on how to go out for a drink and be healthy!)
- Be savvy. Don’t be fooled by dishes that the menu claims are the healthy options. Read the descriptions carefully.
- Balance is best. Choose a dish that has lean meat and complex carbohydrates.
- Portion control! No matter what your mom told you, you don’t have to finish what’s on your plate. Try to not eat more than 75% of the portion given to you.
- Not all salads and pastas are healthy. Avoid salads and pastas that are swimming in mayo or other creamy dressings and sauces.
- Preparation is key. Ask for your food to be grilled, steamed, boiled, baked or poached instead of fried.
- Less is more. Instead of a starter followed by a main, order two starters. Or have a starter and share a main with someone.
- Dessert? Order fresh berries or a small fruit sorbet. If you want to try something more decadent, then order one dessert to share.
If you want to eat out and stay healthy, stick to these guidelines and avoid unwanted calories!